11/05/2007

Perfect Soup Stock

soup is pretty much my most favourite thing in the world and making stock from scratch is super easy and basically free. take your bones/carcass (you can even save and freeze them and then make it when you have time!) put bones/carcass in a large heavy bottom pot with onions cut in half (skins on) and carrots cut in large pieces (skins on). drizzle with olive oil and bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes. put the pot on the stove top, add pepper corns, bay leaf, salt (if necessary) and fill the pot with water. bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. simmer for a few hours. put the stock through a strainer. pick any meat off the carcass and put aside to use in soup. let stock cool overnight and skim fat off. make soup as usual or freeze for later use.

1 comment:

Jason Shabaga said...

I'm all about the stock - I think I was happier about the stock I made from the duck I roasted for thanksgiving than the duck itself! Of course with duck you get tons of yummy duck fat to use for later too.